In this guide, we will explain the reasons behind the typing indicator problem and provide step-by-step solutions to fix the Instagram typing indicator not showing, not working, or missing from your DMs.
The typing indicator is a feature in messaging applications that provides real-time feedback to users when someone is actively typing or composing a message. It is a visual cue that indicates that the person you are conversing with is in the process of composing a message.
In Instagram Direct Messages (DMs), the typing indicator appears as a small text or icon, usually saying “Typing” or showing three dots (ellipsis), that appears in the chat window when the other person is actively typing a message. This feature helps to create a more dynamic and interactive conversation experience by letting you know when the other person is in the process of responding.
Although the “Typing” indicator in DMs is meant to inform users when someone is composing a message, some users have encountered an issue where the typing indicator fails to appear, causing messages to be sent without any indication of typing activity.
Below, we will consider the reasons for this issue and suggest ways through which you can fix it.
Why is the Typing Indicator Not Working on Instagram?
There are a few potential reasons why the typing indicator may not be functioning properly on Instagram:
Poor or Unstable Internet Connection
A weak or unstable internet connection can disrupt the communication between your device and Instagram’s servers, resulting in the failure of the typing indicator to display.
Bug or Glitch
Occasionally, Instagram may have bugs or glitches in its system that prevent the typing indicator from appearing as intended. These issues are typically addressed and resolved in future updates.
If the typing indicator is not working for you, it’s possible that Instagram’s direct messaging feature is temporarily down. In such cases, you will need to wait until the issue is resolved. To check if other users are experiencing the same problem, you can search for related discussions on platforms like Twitter.
How to Fix Instagram Typing Not Showing
Download Instagram Lite from the Google Play Store
- Unlock your Android device and go to the home screen.
- Locate and tap on the “Google Play Store” app icon. It usually has a white shopping bag with a colourful play button on it.
- Once the Play Store opens, you’ll see a search bar at the top of the screen. Tap on it to activate the search function.
- In the search bar, type “Instagram Lite” and press the “Enter” key or tap the magnifying glass/search icon.
- The search results page will display various apps related to your search. Look for the official “Instagram Lite” app. It should have an icon similar to the regular Instagram app but with the word “Lite” written underneath it.
- Tap on the “Instagram Lite” app from the search results. This will take you to the app’s page.
- On the app’s page, you’ll find information about the app, including its developer, ratings, and reviews. Scroll down until you see the “Install” button.
- Tap the “Install” button. If prompted, review the app’s permissions and tap “Accept” to grant the necessary permissions.
- The installation process will begin, and you’ll see a progress bar indicating the download status. Wait for the download to complete.
- Once the download is finished, the “Install” button will change to “Open.” Tap on “Open” to launch the Instagram Lite app.
- You will be prompted to log in to your Instagram account. Enter your credentials (username and password) and tap “Log In.”
- After logging in, you can access your direct messages and check if the “Typing” indicator shows up as expected.
Congratulations! You have successfully downloaded Instagram Lite from the Google Play Store and can now enjoy its lightweight features.
Download an Older Version of Instagram for Android
- On your Android device, locate the Instagram app and uninstall it. To uninstall an app, you can usually long-press the app icon on the home screen or go to “Settings” > “Apps” or “Applications” > “Instagram” > “Uninstall.”
- Open a web browser on your device and visit the website https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android.
- On the Uptodown website, you’ll find a search bar at the top. Type “Instagram” in the search bar and press the “Enter” key or tap the magnifying glass/search icon.
- The search results page will display various versions of Instagram. Scroll down to find the section called “Older versions” and select it.
- You will now see a list of available older versions of Instagram. Each version will have a corresponding release date and file size. Choose the version that you want to download. It’s generally recommended to select a version close to the one you previously had or a version that is known to be stable.
- Tap on the desired version to open its download page. On the download page, you’ll find more details about the version, including its features and compatibility.
- Locate and tap the “Download” button on the download page. This will initiate the download of the Instagram APK file to your device.
- After the download is complete, locate the downloaded APK file in your device’s notification panel or in the “Downloads” folder. The file should have a name similar to “Instagram-[version number].apk”.
- Tap on the downloaded APK file to start the installation process. You may need to grant permission to install apps from unknown sources if you haven’t done so already. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is finished, you will find the older version of Instagram installed on your device. Open the app and log in to your Instagram account.
- Access your direct messages and check if the “Typing” indicator now shows up as expected.
That’s it! You have successfully downloaded and installed an older version of Instagram on your Android device.
Other Things You Can Do
If the above solutions didn’t resolve the issue, you can try the following troubleshooting methods:
- Open the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your device.
- Search for “Instagram” and locate the app.
- If an update is available, select “Update” to install the latest version of Instagram.
- Launch the app and check if the typing indicator is now functioning.
Force Exit and Reopen Instagram:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen (iOS) or navigate to the recent apps screen (Android).
- Locate the Instagram card and swipe it up or off the screen to force exit the app.
- Reopen Instagram and access your direct messages to see if the typing indicator appears.
Clear Instagram’s Cache:
- Force exit Instagram by following the steps mentioned in the previous method.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Find and select “Apps” or “Applications” (depending on your device).
- Scroll down and locate Instagram from the list of installed apps.
- Tap on Instagram and select “Storage.”
- Choose “Clear Cache” and confirm by selecting “Clear Data.”
- Reopen Instagram and check if the typing indicator is now visible.
Log Out and Log In:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Go to your profile by tapping on the “Profile” icon.
- Access the menu by tapping the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- Tap on “Log out” to sign out of your Instagram account.
- Log back in using your credentials and navigate to your direct messages.
Uninstall and Reinstall Instagram:
- Tap and hold the Instagram app on your home screen.
- Select the option to delete or uninstall the app.
- Visit the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Search for “Instagram” and reinstall the app.
- Once installed, open Instagram and check if the typing indicator appears in your DMs.
Wait for Instagram to Resolve the Issue:
If none of the above methods work, it’s possible that Instagram is experiencing server-side issues.
In this case, you will need to wait for a few hours until Instagram resolves the problem.
Having the typing indicator in Instagram DMs can enhance communication by providing real-time feedback on message composition.
If you encounter issues with the typing indicator not showing or working, you can follow the steps outlined in this guide to address the problem. By troubleshooting your device, updating the app, or utilizing alternative versions, you can restore the typing indicator and enjoy a more interactive messaging experience on Instagram