One of the common issues Twitter users can experience is the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error. In this guide, we will look into the causes and provide effective solutions to help you fix the error.
Twitter has become one of the most popular social media platforms many can’t do without. It is a platform that keeps millions of users regularly engaged in different conversations around the world. Interestingly, you can connect with others by following their accounts, joining trends, and voicing your opinions.
Twitter has many great features that make people stay glued to it. One of the most popular among them is the ability to tweet and retweet posts and send direct messages, also known as DMs, and voice shows tagged Spaces.
However, sometimes, Twitter may not function correctly due to errors, bugs, and glitches when users try to access it through the mobile app. One such error is the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later”.
Below, we will explain what the error means, the reasons why you are getting this error, and give solutions to get you back on track.
What Does the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” Mean on Twitter?
The “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” is an error message on Twitter that means that the app has encountered an issue or could not perform a specific action. However, this error can sometimes be resolved simply by reloading the page.
What Causes the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” Mean on Twitter?
The “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter can be caused by different factors. Here are possible reasons:
- App Limits: Sometimes, the Twitter app could exceed its limits. The limit was put in place to prevent abuse and ensure smooth functioning. You can easily exceed these limits by making too many requests within a short period; hence the app returns an error message.
- Internet Connection Issues: For effective communication to occur between your device and Twitter’s servers, you need a good and stable internet connection. The opposite means that the app will not be able to establish a reliable connection which could cause the error.
- Bugs or Glitches: Oftentimes, bugs and glitches can affect how the Twitter app functions. These lead to technical issues that may cause the error message.
- Twitter Downtime: Twitter may experience downtime sometimes due to server maintenance and upgrades. When this happens, you can encounter the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error.
- Rate Limiting: Twitter has put rate limits in place to prevent spam, unauthorized access, and excessive usage of its API. Once you exceed the rate limits, Twitter will temporarily restrict your access and return the error message.
How to Fix the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” Error on Twitter
Below are the different ways you can resolve the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter:
Get Twitter Blue:
The most effective way to resolve the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter is to subscribe to Twitter Blue. to increase the limits. A while ago, Elon Musk announced that Twitter has introduced a temporary rate limit to fight data scraping and system manipulation. If you exceed your limit, you can subscribe to Twitter Blue to increase it.
To do this:
- Launch the Twitter app and log in to your account.
- Next, you need to select your profile picture and choose “Twitter Blue”.
- You must choose your plan ad make the required payment to finish the process.
Once your subscription is confirmed successful, limits will be increased for you in no time.
Use Twitter Web:
If you are experiencing issues with the Twitter mobile app, you should use the web version temporarily until the issue is fixed. Using Twitter in a private or incognito mode usually works.
On iPhone, open Safari in private mode, visit twitter.com and log in to your account. If you have an Android device, open Chrome in incognito mode, visit twitter.com and log in to your account. PC users can open Chrome in incognito mode (or other supported browsers), access twitter.com and log in to their account.
Once you have login access to the website, you can start to see tweets and use other features.
Use a VPN:
Using a VPN can help you bypass any restrictions and limit in place. Before you begin, you need to close the Twitter app. Next, install a reliable VPN application and connect to a free VPN server.
Once this is in place, launch the Twitter app, and the error should be no more.
Wait for some time:
If you are getting this error due to the rate limit, it is highly advised that you wait until the restriction is lifted on your account. This typically lasts between an hour and up to 48 hours.
Consider other solutions:
- Update Twitter: Sometimes, the error is a result of bugs. Twitter usually resolves such by releasing an update for the app. The Twitter app can be updated from the App Store (for iOS) or Google Play Store (for Android).
- Switch network source: If you are currently connected to Wi-Fi, try switching to mobile data and vice versa. This way, you can resolve network issues on the app.
- Clear cache: Clearing your Twitter app cache can also help. If you are using Twitter on a web browser, simply clear your browser’s cache.
The “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter can be easily resolved using the different solutions provided on this page.
However, ensure you keep your Twitter app updated at all times to help you fix bugs and glitches that might cause the error in the future.